Saturday, November 04, 2006

I had to do some fieldwork for a GPS campain survey. The survey is looking for uplift do to the Socorro magma body. Here are some pictures I took while doing the field work. I would have taken more, but I had to use my camera to take pictures of the GPS deployments since the camera we were supposed to be using for that quit working.















This is an arroyo that we crossed last year to install a seismomter. It was washed out a little after the monsoon season this year.















This is the same crossing from the other side. It is now over 8 feet deep now. There was another arroyo we drove up to get to one of the sites. It was probably 5 feet deep and 20 to 40 feet wide. When we climed out, we noticed that all of the plants in the valley had sand/mud bars behind them. It turns out that during the height of the flood the whole valley was full of water. Unfortunatly I didn't have room to take a picture of that place.
















These are some petrogliphs near one of the stations. There are 4 different petrogliphs in that picture.















A close up of one of the faces and the snake in the picture above.















A close up of the other two. A face and some kind of animal















Here is a petrogliph of what looks like a sun. It was a few hundred yards from the others.















Just playing around trying to figure out my camera















Dito (its a branch in front of the moon in case you are wondering)

3 Comments:

Blogger BillyCheese said...

It is amazing how much water can fall in a day. Water is life. But it can also bring lots of destruction. Nice picks.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Ahenobarbus Textor said...

I echo billycheese's comments. So, is that basalt that the petroglyphs were drawn on? What kind of camera do you have?

2:46 PM  
Blogger Milumbar said...

I guess I really should say what camera I have. I bought a Canon Powershot S3 IS. The rock the the petroglyphs are is basalt, very observant of you.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home