Wednesday, November 22, 2006

More GPS field work















Another moon picture, I took a bunch of these. I am never satisfied, but I thing that is due to the fact that I want the pictures to turn out like looking through a telescope.















If the Jeep was any wider it wouldn't have made it. This was apperently an old wagan trail.















Just around the corner from the last picture















It was windy at the first GPS site we picked up. (yes it really was that windy) We estimated that winds were gusting to at least 40 miles an hour, possibly more. It blew my glasses off my face. That is Dave Love head field geologist for the NM Bureau of geology (If I remeber right his grandrather was the once that discovered Love waves (a type of surface wave produced by and earthquake)















The GPS station we were picking up, and John trying to fill in the field nots without the wind ripping all of the pages out of the notebook















Some Petroglyps that were in the canyon we drove through. The spanish apperently put the crosses on all the rock were they found petroplyps. I havn't had time to see if I can bring out the petroglyps any better.











































I don't know if this is from hte spanish or not. It looks like it is fairly old though, and took a lot of work to carve.















This is a picture of the road through Escondida(just north of Socorro). It looks like a snow plow came through the way the mud is piled up along side the road. The mud is from the flash floods this summer, and Escondid was the worst hit by the flooding. The road looks like this through much of the area, sometimes worse when the road crosses large arroyos.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ahenobarbus Textor said...

I think your lunar photos are great. Can your camera use different lenses? If you're still unsatisfied you can always plop down the dough for a nice telephoto lens.

That jeep trail looks awesome! What kind of jeep were you in? Is it too wide for a Cherokee, do you think?

Those petroglyphs always get the historian in me all worked up. Are the old concentric circles, et cetera, Anasazi glyphs? Were the Spanish ones put there by members of Father Escalante's entourage? Fascinating questions that I am utterly unequipped to answer. Thanks for the post.

9:00 AM  
Blogger BillyCheese said...

Looks like you are still having lots of fun traversing the terrain down there. Did you hear about the EQ west of SLC a week or so ago?

2:47 PM  
Blogger Milumbar said...

Unfortunatly I don't know anything about the vehical we were in other then it was made by jeep. It looks like a small saburban. It was a pretty tight fit.

I can get different lenses for my camera, but I don't have the money to do so.

I wish I knew more about the ages of the petroglyphs, there is probably somewhere around here where I could find out more.

I did hear about the little earthquake west of SLC. It has been boring here since the earthquakes last year. We have had some nice explosions to rock the building (they are making industrial dimonds with explosives) http://www.dchieftain.com/news/66865-11-22-06.html

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home